Tuesday 6 November 2012

Printmaking

Like Andy Warhol and Trasi Henen, we completed various prints today.

Our objectives: 
  • Complete a series of A4 monoprints
  • Variety of techniques: monochromatic and using two separate colours.
  • Annotate and mount in sketchbooks.
  • Learn about de/re contstructing our images.

To make a print, find a copy of the image you want to print, then place this image face-up over a sheet of the material you want the print on over a THIN layer of ink of any colour and trace the image using a biro, pencil, graphite stick or even a finger to pick out the lines you want. Put pressure with your chosen tool but don't lean on the page with your hand as this will result in a hand mark on the page. You could experiment with using different coloured ink or different materials to print on!


These prints had to be relevant to group work we did about an artist; therefore my images had to relate back to the style of Keith Haring. Therefore; I sketched one of his drawings to print.

For this, I filled in with block colours of red and blue for the outlines and the heart. I used a graphite stick for this because it gives a thick, bold line and when used in print making, gives the effect that a wax crayon was used. I think this effect is successful in terms of links to the artist's work, because Haring's images are simplistic with an almost childlike effect; therefore the crayon effect works well with this print. I thought the primary colours would be good as these made up his idiosynchratic colour scheme. I outlined with a biro using black ink to again mimick his style.





I decided to also do a monochromatic print, which was easy to do when taking influence from Haring's style because of his 'subway' chalk drawings. This time, I copied an image and outlined it with black ink using a biro. I then filled in the image (except the white lines) with my finger using black again and around the edges to give the same effect of chalk on a black surface. I like the monochrome because it gives the print a mood and atmosphere. I used newsprint for this monochromatic print as it allows the ink to be transferred easily, but I used cartridge paper for the first one in order to experiment with different materials.



 I really like the effect of this technique; however if I were to do it again, I'd take more care in printing the background more accurately around the image.


Well today was a new experience for me... I found this process to be very open and enjoyable. I dare you guys to try it! 






No comments:

Post a Comment