Sunday 11 November 2012

Andy Warhol: in Printmaking

Let's explore Andy Warhol's Printmaking techniques!

Warhol is a well-known Pop Artist, who was born in 1928 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He trained as a commercial artist and soon began to adopt a style of painting everyday images such as soup cans in bold and sometimes unusual colours (Pop Art).

Andy Warhol's most common form of printmaking was via silkscreen; where he was able to  project a photograph to a silk screen. This allowed him to produce repetitive patterns of the same image, whilst not restricting him to maintain the same appearance... he was able to alter the colour schemes.

Here is an example of his work using this technique. As you can see he has used contrasting and bold colour schemes to separate each box. I like this technique as it is very eye catching, and the use of a simple image doesn't make the heavy use of colour too overwhelming.


Warhol also experimented with monochromatic prints. I thought it would be nice to put one on since we were doing this at college. I know this one has a bit of red ink on it too but we did use that technique so it's still valid! 

I like how he has used three colours for the background to make the image more unique. It gives the image more depth than the image above where only one colour was used as the background. I like this effect of using more than one colour; therefore I've started a print which is inspired by this.

It's a work in progress, but it's okay as it's the background which is influenced. I layed it out into four areas, like many of Warhol's prints. I've also chosen a simple colour scheme of pale pink and yellow; however a third colour is introduced by layering the two colours. 


I shall produce a monochromatic print of Keith Haring's doodles onto here; however they won't be repeated; I wanted to take influence from Warhol but still make it my own, so that's why it wont be a repeat. 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete