Sunday 3 November 2013

Typographic Quotes Project

We began a typographic quotes project in college in September, and recently had an interim critique session. To allow you all to catch up, I'll just upload a few of my experiments I've been doing.

Typography is the design and style of  words or letters. 

I've researched a few typographers in this project, and I found Alan Fletcher's work to be the most inspiring. This is the second time I have influenced him in a project, the last of which was in my WWF Rebranding project. Within this one, I have found his work useful in the way he visually portrays the typography. This made the type more interesting as a whole to look at and, because I am good at analysing words and phrases, I thought I could use this in my own designs. 
On the right is an example of his work. As you can see he manipulates the type based on what the words say: he has written 'Manhattan' tall and narrow to suggest the Manhattan skyline.


'Every artist was first an amateur'


This was a photocopy of a digital quote; the word 'amateur' was originally letterblock prints to give a childlike appearance. I cut out the key words and suggested the journey almost from an amateur to an artist and placed prints behind each key word to suggest this. The typeface slowly becomes more childlike and amateur-ish as it moves down the page. I placed a print I did when I was 4 behind amateur and a print I have recently done in college behind
'artist' to portray my own journey in the quote.





Experiment 2: Influenced by Stina Persson's grungy and urban style





I did these experiments using flour and cocoa. The drop-shadow idea worked the best as it gives a defined contrast between artist and amateur, which has no drop shadow. The powdery effect gives the impression of spray paint almost. I submitted these last two outcomes for an interim critique in college and my peers found them to be very effective, so I will adapt them for one of my final quotes,

No comments:

Post a Comment