Sunday 9 June 2013

Typography Shadows

Whilst in the process of making a typography experiment for 
my project, I noticed that I was holding my stencil up to the 
light, and it cast interesting shadows onto the paper.

These experiments are entirely a happy accident. I noticed that the positioning of the light as well as the angle which I held the stencil caused the type to move and become distorted.






 As you can see, in places the letters fade out or in, and gradients are created onto the surrounding shadow. There are a lot of graphic effects being created through the shadows: silhouettes/ gradient/ movement/density

Since my film is Back to The Future, I thought that the effects created are quite useful, since the idea of wavy or distorted type could symbolise the movement of the car through two time periods. This would be really good and useful if it was a Photoshop project; however the poster needs to be completely hand made and so it won't be possible to create shadow for this project.


 I had the original stencil close to the light here, and I can see a slight orange glow around the letters on the second line.  Again, this looks modern and futuristic which would be useful if we could use software on this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment