Sunday 11 November 2012

Printmaker #2... Trasi Henen!

Apologies if you guys are bored stuff of Printmaking stuff by now, just this one last post about it! :) 

I'm presuming not many of you have heard of this artist called Trasi Henen (based on how not one person in my class knew of her). But I've looked at her work and she's done some pretty cool prints.

Henen is South African and was born in 1981. Her works mainly include painting, mixed media and printmaking (obviously!) She has even won awards for her paintings, but for now we're focusing on the prints.


I don't know exactly why but I love the whole atmosphere and effect of this print. The background colours being blended like they are against the white ink gives the impression of Space, and for me the odd spot of white ink on the page add to this effect because they look almost like stars. The darker colour in the middle of the page causes the sketch to stand out more, giving a somewhat 3D feel to it. I also like how none of the lines are precise , it gives the image life! I could literally say more and more but I'm going to move on now!


Anyone want to take wild guess at the name of this print? ... 'Chairs'! There is an abstract feel to this one, by how she has used the same image again and again, but changed subtle things about it, maybe by changing the angle or leaving some details out. It's very interesting to look at due to the randomness of how the images have been placed; however some people may find it boring because of the predominantly red colours.

I haven't had time to do a print influenced by Henen yet; however if I get round to it, I'd take influence by making the images extremely simple, and not to worry about perfectly drawn lines or positioned images. I'll keep you guys posted (excuse the bad pun!).....

No comments:

Post a Comment